” ‘We would see Jesus;’ for the shadows lengthen
Across the little landscape of our life;
We would see Jesus, our weak faith to strengthen
For the last conflict, in this mortal strife.” – Stanza 1 from SDAH 494.
(1) The words, “We would see Jesus” are based on John 12:21 ” They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.” ”
(2) “for the shadows lengthen” means it’s evening and night is coming…when as the sun sets the shadows grow longer
(3) “across the little landscape of our life” a figurative way to depict our entire life. Our life on earth is short therefore it’s landscape is little… yet the reality is the sun is setting on our life each day…we don’t have as much life today as we had yesterday
(4) “Our weak faith to strengthen” – our faith in God as we deal with daily challenges of life and as we face the end of our lives is weak and we need to see Jesus to strengthen our faith
(5) “For the last conflict, in this mortal strife” Mortal refers to human nature that is bound to die. We have many conflicts each day… conflicts as we struggle for love, money, Health, etc. But there is a last conflict of the destiny of your life…heaven or hell?
In summary we need Jesus everyday to the end of this life. May your prayer be “We would see Jesus.” May you see Jesus in your life today and forever more… Amen!
Pastor Rei Kesis